Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Monday 7 July 2014

Product Review: Living Dead Clothing - Sailor Scout Skater Dresses (Part 1)

For the last two months I have been reliving my childhood by watching the syndicated episodes of Sailor Moon on Hulu. I originally discovered the series in 1995, thanks to my three best friends who had moved from Taiwan and Indonesia. They bought me a packet of Sailor Moon playing cards for my ninth birthday, as well as a bunch of the shiny collector cards. Sadly, I no longer have them.

We used to spend our breaks drawing the characters and discussing the show, though my knowledge was limited as the English dubbed version didn't include every episode. Nearly twenty years later, I am enjoying the subtitled Japanese version a lot more.

As if having the original series on demand wasn't enough, Sailor Moon fans are being treated to a rebooted version of the show, which is said to more closely follow the arcs featured in the Manga. I haven't read the Manga, but as soon as I go back to work, I'll make it my mission to do so.


Living Dead Clothing couldn't have picked a better time to release their Sailor Scout skater dresses. With pop-culture inspired nylon quickly becoming a staple in many wardrobes, it was only a matter of time before someone created a Sailor Moon inspired piece. When the original Sailor Moon skater was released earlier this year, I almost danced with joy in anticipation of further Senshi inspired attire.

On June 6, at 8:59am, I sat eagerly at my computer waiting for the minute hand to tick over. As soon as it did, I quickly purchased my Sailor Mars skater, anticipating an immediate sell-out. I wasn't far off. Within minutes, several sizes were down to limited stock. After an hour, some had completely sold out. I had heard my friends talk about Black Milk release dates before, and how things disappeared very quickly, but I had to see it for myself.

Although I've purchased several pairs of LDC mermaid leggings, I had never ordered from the site directly. (You can also find some LDC items here.) My care package arrived the following business day, with two stickers and two wristbands inside. I was almost nervous as I unfolded the dress. I wanted it to be amazing, because I love being able to support local brands like LDC.

I was not disappointed. The design - a simplified version of the actual dresses worn by the Scouts - lends itself to both casual cosplay and everyday fashion. The material is lovely and soft and, being nylon, doesn't require ironing. As I suffer from pretty bad OCD, not having to iron things is wonderful.

Although I plan on collecting the entire set of Sailor Moon skaters, that is a long term project that will require a bit of saving on my part. So, in order to provide you with some tips for styling your own LDC skaters, I have enlisted the help of my fellow Deadites.

First up is Bayah, wearing the original Sailor Moon skater. The locket is based on the design from the original 1992 Anime.


"I haven't purchased the others yet, but I'm happy with Sailor Moon. I love her personality, even if she is a crybaby," Bayah says.


"Fashion wise, my style is a mixture of comfy and quirky. I love leggings, trackies, singlets, band tees, boots and flats."

Here, she's paired her skater with matching Sailor Moon earrings from Ruezats.

"I haven't done a cosplay yet, but I'm hoping to do Sailor Moon or Poison Ivy for Brisbane Supanova in November."

"Sailor Moon has been my favourite Anime character since I was a kid."

(Needless to say, if she does get her cosplay wish, I will be right there taking photos for my blog.)

Next is yours truly donning my Sailor Mars skater at the Brisbane Alternative Expo last month. (I promise to upload the cosplay photos soon. A thousand apologies, regular readers.)


Honestly, I originally chose to cosplay Sailor Mars back in 2011, because her shoes were the easiest to replicate - basic red heels. Later on, a fan art would lead me to do a Sailor Mars/Red Lantern crossover. Now, if there's ever a red or fire-related character, I tend to gravitate towards them.


I decided to add black pantyhose and a black cardigan to my outfit, mostly for comfort, as it's the middle of Winter here in Australia. I didn't want it to look too much like a cosplay, so I wore plain black ballet flats, rather than heels. I did add the red choker, although I would prefer to purchase some more Sailor Scout related accessories for my future skaters.

Moving on to Chelsea, who chose Sailor Jupiter as her first skater, although she intends to purchase more in the future.


"Sailor Jupiter was always my favourite. No particular reason why, I just always liked her the most," Chelsea says.

"I'm only just starting cosplay, but I tend to choose characters by their look. If a new character comes up, and he or she looks really funky, that's what motivates me to dress up as them."


Chelsea shows us that you can wear the dress with very minimal accessories and light make up, and still make a statement. That's something I love about LDC. It doesn't matter what style you're into, because their clothes - especially their leggings - can be dressed up or down.

Lastly, we have Natalia, who used her Sailor Moon skater to create a casual cosplay for Sydney Supanova. If you've been following my Eevee Inspired Outfits, you'll know how much I love casual cosplay. I thinks it's a great way to represent your fandoms without having to go the whole hog and deck yourself out in armour and latex.




I wish I could have shown you a Mercury and a Venus, but sadly no Deadites were able to put an outfit together in time. However, you can find all the Inner Senshi dresses here.

In two weeks I will post part two of my review, featuring the Outer Senshi. I will also update this post if I am able to find a Mercury or a Venus in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment